Helpers Along the Way
Rev. Harvey Dubbs
Deacon Harvey was born January 27, 1941 in west St. Louis County new Babler State Park. He attended Wild Horse, Melrose and Pond Grade Schools. Deacon Harvey graduated from Roosevelt High School. He became a Catholic in 1959.
Mr. Dubbs married Barbara E. Leicht in October 1960 at St. Mary of Perpetual Help Church. They have five children and eleven grandchildren and a foster grandchild. Deacon Harvey was ordained in the Archdiocese of St. Louis in 2001 by Cardinal Justin Rigali. He is Pastoral Associate at St. Mary's and St. James Parishes, Chaplain for Boles Fire Protection District and an on-call Chaplain for St. John's Hospital in Washington, MO.
John was born August 6, 1922 in St. Louis County Missouri. John and his wife, Ellen, became members of St. Mary's in 1980. They became very active in parish activities. John sponsored picnics, fishing outings and trips to the St. Louis Cardinals for the servers. In addition, he served as auctioneer at many charity events held by the parish. In addition, Mr. Knight did extra duty playing Santa Claus and also St. Nicholas at many church functions.
The two sons who were mentioned previously in our book, became priests. Robert became a priest in 1983 and Jeffery was ordained in 1986. Robert is now an associate pastor in Clayton and Jeffery is the pastor of St. John's Gildehaus.
Mr. Knight passed away on Good Friday, April 9, 2004. His funeral was held at St. Mary's on Monday, April 12, 2004 with Bishop Raymond Burke, thirteen priests, as well as the Knights of Columbus in attendance. Interment was in the church cemetery. A fitting thanks for his many contributions to St. Mary's Parish.
St. Mary's has always been blessed with a group of ladies that have quilted quilts for the picnic. At one picnic they had as high as 18 quilts raffled off @ $1 per chance on all the quilts, which was a real bargain. Usually six to eight ladies made a quilt. As time went by and the ladies passed away and the younger ladies went to work, six ladies of the parish started the quilting group at the school or hall whichever was available. They were Agnes Overschmidt, Ruth Light, Florence Hanneken, Leona Hanneke, Veronica Vondera and Louella Overschmidt. At present it has continued with approximately ten ladies. They are called "Stitch and Snitch", a name which they have mixed emotions about.
There are certain people in the parish who will never be replaced because of their loyalty and faithfulness. One outstanding person is Jane Peirick, who was a dedicated organist for 42 years. She was always present for masses, funerals and special occasions. She is a unique person who donated her time and services at all times, and she also had patience with the choir.
We should never forget a wonderful couple, Willard and Bernice Haley. They worked for years at the Blessed Mother's shrine planting flowers, shrubs, weeding, doing whatever it took to make it a beautiful shrine. Their services should never be forgotten because of the marvelous and excellent job they did. God rest their souls.
End of Chapter lX